Monday 25 August 2014

1900s Sewing Machine


Today I went to visit my Nana, and Dad had mentioned a few days ago that she had an old sewing machine hanging around so I was dying to have a look.

After the usual cup of tea and a Kit-Kat, I asked her about it, then went to get it from the corner of her bedroom cupboard. It was remarkably heavy, and I could barely lift it, but I managed to haul it to the kitchen table. It still has its original wooden case.

She said that it had been her grandmother's, and that she thinks that it is from the 1900s. It hasn't been touched for years, as she certainly hasn't sewn in a while. However, the wheel still turns by using the handle and it has a fairly smooth motion.

It has a very attractive design, and while it is not as efficient as modern machines, it definitely looks nicer. The gold patterns make it look like a decorative item as well as a piece of machinery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...